Support and Educational Organizations
There are many ways to get involved with various organizations that are devoted to the goals that we at WCWS support.
- Texas Bluebird Society – Texas Bluebird Society is an all-volunteer grassroots organization helping bluebirds and other native cavity-nesting birds through increasing nesting sites while sustaining and increasing their food supply. This is a great source of information on providing habitat and food sources for bluebirds.
- Texas Master Naturalists ™ - There are numerous chapters throughout Texas. The one for Washington County is the Gideon Lincecum Chapter, named after an early 19th century naturalist who lived near Longpoint in Washington County. TMN is sponsored by TPWD and Texas A&M AgriLife.
- Texas Master Gardenersm - Similar to the TMNs, Master Gardener chapters cover the state. The chapter that covers Washington County is the Bluebonnet Master Gardeners Association. TMG is sponsored by Texas A&M AgriLife.
- Native Plant Society of Texas – Another state-wide organization with a local chapter, the LaBahia Chapter, which meets in Brenham. The organization supports the use of native plants for gardening and landscaping.
- Native Prairies Association of Texas – Another statewide organization. Their emphasis is on conserving land through acquisitions, partnerships, and conservation easements as well as assisting landowners in restoring native plant communities on their land.
- Texas Wildlife Association – TWA membership will help promote Texas' hunting traditions and the opportunity for new generations to know the pleasures of the Texas outdoors. By joining, you will also strengthen the organization’s work with legislators, educators and wildlife biologists to safeguard private lands and the many species of wildlife they support. TWA sponsors regular online webinars in cooperation with AgriLife that are good sources of information.
- Wildlife Habitat Federation – WHF is a Texas non-profit conservation organization dedicated to the preservation and re-establishment of crucial upland game habitat vitally needed to sustain healthy populations of quail and other upland wildlife species. WHF provides information, specialized equipment, on-the-ground physical assistance to landowners and lessees committed to re-establishing native grasses and forbs.
- South Central Texas Prescribed Burn Association – Prescribed burning is an important tool to use for land management. Learn how to do it safely and effectively by helping others burn on their property with supervision by trained members. SCTPBA is a volunteer non-profit organization.